06 Mar Make your Mark and Lead
2 Minute Read
So you’ve made it to management, but now you’re not sure what to do?
Don’t worry, you are not alone. Just 39% of new managers receive formal training, leaving 61% with none at all, this means that as a result, 51% reported they felt unprepared for their first management role*. This leads to a huge problem with ‘Accidental managers’ which is a term used for those promoted into the role without formal training and according to the CEB. This has left as many as 60% of new managers to under perform or fail within their first two years.
But there are things you can do to take control of your future. It’s up to you to #MakeYourMark and lead.
So what can you do to give yourself the best chance at success?
There are several approaches you can take to better equip yourself for maximising your performance in your new role. These also apply for any managers who have learnt ‘on the job’, and those who are looking to move into a management role in the future.
- Request formal training
Undoubtedly the best way to have the best start to your management career is to undertake formal training. Talk to your line manager about either commercial options or Apprenticeship training programmes. Explain why you want this, but also how it will benefit the business.
- Apprenticeship training as a viable option
If you work in a small to medium business, the business only needs to pay 5% of the total programme cost. A Level 2 Team Leading Apprenticeship programme takes 12 months and costs just £75, with the Level 3 programme 12 months and £250. If your business pays the Apprenticeship levy, your HR team would be able to advise whether levy funds are available to fund the full programme price.
- Emulate those you admire
Follow leaders you aspire to be like, such as Simon Sinek, Felecia Hatcher or Gary Cohen, on LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter and seek out any TED talks they may have done on the subject of Leadership and Management.
- Play to your strengths
Take an online strengths test, like the Gallup Strengths Finder, to find out your key strengths and how to maximise these for success in your role.
- Understand your style
There are many different management styles as you may have experienced. Check out this HubSpot article on the management styles you should strive to achieve. You can then use this information to discuss with your line manager your style, and how you want to develop. https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/management-styles
- Find a mentor
Speak to your peers within your business to understand their experience and how they became the manager they are. Whether you like their style or not, you will learn a lot from understanding their journey. You can also utilise the LinkedIn Career Advice platform to access advice from peers around the world. https://www.linkedin.com/help/linkedin/answer/87884
Give Paragon Skills a call today, and we can talk to you about the right type of training for your leadership or management level, and assist you with the discussion with your employer. Call 0800 783 2545 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.